The current generation is precariously living in a vastly unstable world where paradigm shifts are happening faster than ever before. In the history of mankind we haven’t seen such rapid changes all around us. Be it in our lifestyle, our maddening technological advancement, adoption and subsequent reliance or how we interact with our human and physical environment – everything is changing. It isn’t easy to remain constant in these changing times. In fact it isn’t desirable. Unfortunately very few are mentally strong enough to rough the tough seasons without getting under the weather. It is taxing on the mind to continuously evolve, adapt and accommodate. This is one of the main reasons why depression, anxiety and stress have become so commonplace.
Everyone today is living in uncertain times and it isn’t easy to remain unaffected. Becoming stressed, getting anxiety attacks, suffering from depression can all be called the side-effects of change that we are witnessing. Addressing anxiety and stress is important. But before treating anxiety disorder it is important to identify the symptom. How do we identify the symptoms of anxiety? There are many things that results in the more serious condition of anxiety disorder (and its many forms). Generally all the symptoms we mention below are commonplace and happens to everyone once in a while. It is important to realize that when they happen too often and seriously derail everyday life, they should be taken seriously.
Symptoms of Anxiety
- Increased Palpitations
- Weakness and Tiredness
- Trouble Concentrating
- Irregular Digestion
- The feeling of Impending Doom
- Excessive Worry
Tips to Relieve Anxiety
Once you identify the symptoms and understand the gravity of the situation, you must seek measures for anxiety relief. Below we shall be talking about some simple anxiety relief tips you can start at home and practice every day.
- Eat Healthy – One of the best ways for anxiety relief and stress relief is eating healthy. Reduce junk, oily food. Do not skip meals. Maintain a schedule. Eat at the right time and eat the right stuffs. Include lots of greens, sprouts, protein, vitamins in your meals.
- Hydrate Your Body – Dehydration can cause fuzziness. If you do not drink lots of water everyday, you will not feel well. Start your day by drinking at least a glass or two of water. Keep a bottle on your work desk so that you don’t miss drinking water.
- Limit Caffeine and Alcohol – If you are a caffeine addict, you must limit your coffee breaks to a bare minimum. Alcohol too. Both caffeine and alcohol do not numb feelings of anxiety but can trigger attacks.
- Sleep on Time – If you delay going to bed because of your insomnia, stop that right away. Go to bed at a fixed time every day. Count sheep if you have to. Listen to soft instrumentals. Read a book. But stay on your bed until sleep comes.
- Exercise – Exercising is a great way of relaxing muscles and nerves. Go for a brisk early morning walk. Jog or hit the gym. If nothing else start practicing yoga at home.
- Meditate – Meditation is a great way to relax the senses. If you can spend 10 minutes every morning meditating, you will have a peaceful day.
Coping With Anxiety
- Accept Your Condition – One of the greatest mistakes people make is not accepting their anxiety. You will not get any relief from anxiety and depression unless you accept your sufferings.
- Make Peace with It – Being scared increases anxiety. It’s important you make peace with your condition and decide to tackle it responsibly.
- Talk to Someone –One of the best ways to cope with anxiety is by sharing your problem with someone. You may talk to your family, a friend or even seek professional help by consulting a counsellor.
- Identify your Triggers – What causes you panic and anxiety? Try to identify the triggers. Sometimes triggers can be unassuming in nature and come all of a sudden. But if you can identify a pattern, it will help you deal with anxiety better.
- Don’t Sit Idle – An empty mind is the devil’s workshop. If you are suffering from anxiety, do not shut yourself away from all work. This won’t help. Go to work as usual. Do your daily household chores as usual. Do not stop.
- Take Up a New Hobby – Remember how in your childhood you would enjoy painting more than studying? How you loved outdoors, trekking your neighborhood? Singing was your passions many summers ago. Rekindle that old love. Pick up that dusty guitar lying in the attic. Do not let anxiety and stress get the better of you. Enjoying a hobby can help you deal with your anxiety in many ways.
- Antidepressants – If you consult your doctor, you will likely be handed a prescription of antidepressants. They are undoubtedly effective in calming the nerves and keeping anxiety at bay. But antidepressants have many side-effects such as unexpected weight gain or loss, insomnia, indigestion, dizziness, grogginess etc. Be careful before you start taking antidepressants.
- Herbal Supplements – An alternative solution to antidepressant medications are anxiety relief supplements. There are numerous herbal supplements available as over the counter medications. They are effective, with very little side-effects and almost always made with naturally-derived ingredients. Herbal supplements are most effective in cases of mild anxiety which can be cured at home without medical intervention.
Anxiety disorder is a serious concern globally. You need to pay attention to your mental health before it is too late to take control of your life. Start taking the above-mentioned steps pro-actively today. As you might have noticed, all the anxiety relief tips mentioned above are really very simple to practice. You just need to be persistent and motivated. If you do not want to live with anxiety, you must start acting today. Anxiety is treatable. It is curable. Start recognizing the symptoms early and nip the devil in the bud for a healthy, care-free life.